Common Law Marriage

Houston Common Law Marriage Lawyers

Ending an Informal Marriage (Common Law Marriage)

When you're facing the breakup of a relationship, you don't want a lawyer who gives you sugarcoated answers. You need an attorney who will give you straight advice and answers. If you have questions about your legal rights and options for ending a common law marriage, talk to an experienced lawyer at the Houston law firm of Joseph Indelicato, Jr., P.C. Our attorneys provide honest advice and case evaluations.

To schedule an appointment for straight talk with an experienced lawyer at our firm, contact us today.

Informal Marriage ∙ Common Law Marriage

Are you considered married under Texas informal marriage rules? Texas informal marriage (also known as common law marriage) can be established by signing a declaration of marriage, or by meeting the following requirements:

  • Living together (cohabitating) in the State of Texas
  • Representing to others that you are married in Texas
  • Agreeing to be married (even if the agreement is not a written agreement)

Divorce and Texas Common Law Marriage

If you are facing the dissolution of a common law marriage, it is important to realize that there are strict time limits involved. In other marriages, you can separate and later seek the assistance of the court with aspects of your Divorce Practice, such as property division.

However, in a common law marriage, if you are separated and cease living together, and two years lapse from the time of separation before either party files for divorce, it is legally presumed that the common law marriage never existed. If cases where the marriage is considered to have never existed, the court cannot be involved in the division of assets and debts, spousal maintenance and other issues that would typically arise in divorce. Therefore, it is important to consult an experienced lawyer to discuss your options and to ensure your interests are protected.

Divorce may or may not be necessary in your situation. Our attorneys can give you straight answers about your rights and obligations and advice tailored to your situation. We can help you with all aspects of your separation, including division of property, Child custody and visitation, child support, spousal maintenance/alimony and other important issues.

Talk to a Board-Certified Family Law Attorney

Our Houston law firm offers almost 30 years of experience handling Texas family law exclusively. Call us at (713) 952-1115 or contact us online to speak with our law firm serving Houston and the surrounding parts of Texas.

The law firm of Joseph Indelicato, Jr., P.C., represents people in Houston and the surrounding parts of Texas, including Sugar Land, Missouri City, Richmond/Rosenberg, Katy, Bellaire, Pearland, Alvin, Pasadena, Baytown, La Porte, Galveston, Texas City, League City, Clear Lake, Friendswood, Webster, as well as all cities within Harris County, Fort Bend County, Brazoria County and Galveston County.